Tons of resources extracted from Earth
Globally, this year
You can see it, feel it, hear it, touch it, eat it and interact with it. You are surrounded by Life and Nature – you affect it and it affects you. This is your environment.
Lately, when you hear the word "environment", the word “problem” also comes to mind. The level of interest people give to the environment varies. Some practice energy conservation, some are concerned but feel that it’s too big a problem for them to be concerned about and some don’t believe that it’s important.
We talk about “Saving the Environment” – but the truth is we are really trying to save ourselves. The Earth has been around for billions of years. If we damage it or hurt it in any way, it will just cleanse and renew itself – and how the planet will do that is not going to be healthy for the living things that thrive on it.
1) Only 3% of our planet’s water is drinkable. 97% of it is salt water. More than half of the Earth’s fresh water can be found frozen in the glaciers. The rest is underground.
2) The water in our lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, ponds and other surface water makes up 0.3% of our fresh water resource.
3) 25% of the bottled water you buy is really municipal tap water.
4) There is more water vapor in the atmosphere than all the combined rivers on the planet.
5) The Niagara Falls process 750,000 gallons of water every second!
More: Amazing Facts on Earth
6) More than 700 million people do not have access to clean water and more than 2 billion have sanitation problems.
7) 6 to 8 million people die annually from water-borne diseases and disasters.
8) Agriculture uses up 70% of our global freshwater. It goes up to 90% in fast developing countries.
9) We use 10 billion tons of water worldwide.
10) The Ozone Layer “Hole” which is 29 million square kilometers, is expected to be fully healed in the next 55 years. This is due to the worldwide banning of chlorofluorocarbon and hydro fluorocarbon.
11) In the last 200 years, we added 2.3 billion tons of Carbon Dioxide into our atmosphere. Half of this was added in the last 35 to 50 years.
12) We have already destroyed 27% of our coral reefs which is home to 25% of our marine life.
13) We have explored more of Space than our terrestrial oceans.
14) If you go to the deepest part of our ocean, the pressure can be compared to a human being trying to hold 50 jumbo jets!
15) The Ice in Antarctica is as much as the water in the Atlantic Ocean.
16) If the entire world’s Ice melted, our sea levels will rise by 66 meters.
17) Our oceans have an average depth of 12,400 feet. This means that most of the living things on our planet live in total darkness.
18) The world uses 160,000 plastic bags every second. Plastic bags are now banned from supermarkets in most developing countries.
19) Plastic is Forever. It doesn’t bio-grade and go back to nature. It photo-degrades into smaller pieces of itself, continually polluting the environment throughout its life cycle.
20) The US throws away enough plastic bottles in a week to encircle the Earth 5 times! They’re only 5% of our population
Read the stories behind these numbers and learn more about our current environmental challenges. Go to The World Counts: Stories
We save the Earth – We save ourselves.
A little click can go a long way. And if you feel couragous, please share.