15 March, 2014
Earth is amazing!
Our world is a beautiful place and it has sustained everything living on it for millions of years. Although our presence has done much damage to it, we still have a chance to change it.
The wonderful thing that’s happening today is that people are becoming more aware of the needs of our environment and are showing signs of willingness to make a change. When we talk of environment, it involves everything around us, not just the weather. It includes all the animals, plants and the human beings living in this planet.
Here are some amazing environmental facts that you need to know about.
- 27,000 trees are cut down each day so we can have Toilet Paper.
- Aluminum can be recycled continuously, as in forever. Recycling 1 aluminum can save enough energy to run our TVs for at least 3 hours. 80 trillion aluminum cans are used by humans every year.
- American companies alone use enough Paper to encircle the Earth 3x! (It’s a good thing that businesses are moving towards going paperless)
- We can save 75,000 trees if we recycled the paper used on the daily run of the New York Times alone.
- When you throw plastic bags and other plastic materials in the ocean, it kills as many as 1 million sea creatures annually.
- A glass bottle made in our time will take more than 4,000 years to decompose.
- Only 1% of our planet’s water supply can be used. 97% is ocean water and 2% is frozen solid in the Arctic, for now.
- Our planet gains inhabitants numbering to 77 million people a year.
- An estimated 50,000 species inhabiting our tropical forests become extinct annually. That’s an average of 137 species a day.
- Rainforests are cut down at a rate of 100 acres per minute.
- The world’s oldest trees are more than 4,600 years old.
- Landfills are composed of 35% packaging materials.
- Salisbury University: Fun Environmental Facts!
- Earth Echo: Some interesting facts about the environment
- Huffington Post: 13 Awe-Inspiring Facts About The Environment